The three centres of excellence are set to establish linkages between Egyptian universities and leading counterparts in the US, help forge relationships between Egyptian and American researchers and experts and drive research and innovation in sectors that are crucial to Egypt's future economic growth.
The three partnerships will be the following:
· The Massachusetts Institute of Technology will partner with Ain Shams University to establish a centre of excellence in energy
· Cornell University in New York will partner with Cairo University to create a centre of excellence in agriculture
· The American University in Cairo will partner with Alexandria University to develop a centre of excellence in water
Through the establishment of the centres of excellence, USAID and the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, are expected to increase the capacity of Egypt's higher-education institutions and create linkages between research and the public and private sectors in the areas of agriculture, water and energy.
Each centre of excellence will use applied research to drive innovation and competitiveness in the public and private sectors, strengthen Egyptian government policy to stimulate economic growth and contribute solutions to Egypt's development challenges.
The centres of excellence will align with the current needs of Egypt's commercial, academic and public sectors by solving local problems, driving innovation and leading to lower unemployment and improved performance in the private and public sector.
· The main activities of the partnership will include the following
· Creating lasting partnerships between Egyptian public universities and the US universities
· Updating university curricula and teaching methods to align Egyptian university education with the needs of local industry
· Establishing undergraduate-and graduate-level scholarships for students with high financial need
· Implement exchange programs to foster cross-border learning
Since 1978, the American people have invested US$30bn to further Egypt's human and economic development based on our shared ideals and interests.